GVI is a network, catalyst and think-tank for creating a universal-values-driven international system. It has been in existence since 2003, with the participation of hundreds of actors from among UN staff, the diplomatic corps, civil society and the private sector, and a network of over 3,000 persons. We believe that rising to the global challenges and potential of our times calls for an effective, inclusive and adaptive global governance regime based on the mission of the United Nations. This compels holistic transformation of the international system, employing a participatory systems approach to operationalization of the UN’s universal values.
What do these values look like? We observe that they can be found in systems thinking, in collaboration, in creativity and innovation and risk-taking, in transparency and accountability for all actors and departments, in equality, in socio-economic equality, and equality in the Sustainable Development Goals, in well being at every level of society, in conservation of nature, in ensuring biodiversity, and in everyday global citizen acts like recycling.
Through measuring values and cultures in values assessments, employing complex systems analysis and supporting behavior change through coaching methodologies, we focus on the role of the individual actor in embodying these values. GVI empowers actors and teams in and around the United Nations and larger international system to translate values into behaviours, relationships and organizational culture, as well as the processes, programming and policies of the international system.
This initiative, with a mission to revitalize the international system based on core universal values, has been evolving since 2003. Beginning as the Wisdom at Work Association, it grew into the International Vision Collective and then the Global Vision Institute. It draws on the values – peace, justice, human dignity, equality, environmental sustainability – as promoted in the UN Charter, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Millennium Declaration, the Programme of Action on Culture of Peace and related international instruments.
GVI is tasked with supporting professionals in and around the UN system in creatively exploring and actively pursuing the realization of universal values in their lives and work. Its purpose is to nurture a network of professionals, a common vision, and a wider culture in the international community devoted to universal-values-based methodologies, policies, programming and practice.
Donations to GVI help to offset operational and administrative costs, contribute to compensation of personnel, and also further sustain values-driven collaborative projects by UN change agents and Global Visionaries in the GVI community. GVI is a tax exempt 501(c)3 organization so your contributions are tax deductible.
Global Vision Institute (GVI) is committed to actualizing transformation in international systems. GVI works with United Nations entities to support the personal, organizational and social transformation needed to align policy and practice with the UN values for peace, justice, equality, human dignity, and environmental sustainability. GVI uses innovative tools and methodologies to support evolution toward the full expression of UN values.
- Creating and sustaining a network – To provide a space for frank exchanges among UN staff, diplomats, civil society members, private sector actors and academics, participating in principle in their personal capacities. This will seek to encourage people to connect with their own personal sense and experiences of universal values, as the foundation for all work on values, and also to promote informal fellowship networks around which ideas and experiences on values can more easily flow.
- Building awareness, knowledge and skills – To facilitate sharing of experience and information, as well as values-based professional development. This will include forums for exchanges with relevant personalities; workshops, retreats and other development activities; and identification and dissemination of best practices, research and documentation on values promotion and application initiatives.
- Vision, mapping and action development – To collectively develop an evolving, comprehensive, actionable vision of a values-based international system. This will involve facilitating creative exploration of options for new ways of addressing issues, policies and mechanisms, and for relating and collaborating among actors, which is cognizant of growing global complexity, expanding human awareness and new technologies; as well as identifying and pursuing, individually and collectively, concrete action towards realization of selected options.
- To do all such other lawful and ethical things as may be incidental or conducive to the mission of the initiative and/or shall further the above objectives or any of them.
GVI Programs & Services
- transformational workshops on innovation, collaboration and personal commitments to action
- values assessments and values analysis for capacity development
- coaching and consulting with country and organizational teams
Our current workshops include: